6 tips to avoid ingrown hairs
Now that warmer weather is here we are getting back into defuzzing and getting out our legs out in skirts and shorts, we thought this was a timely reminder.
Infrequent shaving over winter can cause ingrown hairs...
Ingrown hairs are more common in people who have thick, curly hair since the hair is more likely to bend and re-enter the skin after the hair has been shaved. This can irritate the skin and leave boil-like sores on areas of your body, such as on the back of your legs, bikini area, underarms and face.
1. The best way to prevent ingrown hairs is to start with EXFOLIATION of the skin with Nana May's Body Scrub at least 3 hours or even the night before shaving to allow the skin to absorb the oils. Exfoliating the skin helps remove dead skin, unwanted dirt, oil and unevenness that can clog or snag the razor. Keeping your skin smooth before shaving is a great way to minimise the risk of ingrown hairs.
2. Before you shave, you need to shower with warm (not boiling hot) water for 2-3 minutes to open pores and help soften the hair follicle so the hair comes out easily when shaving, doing this dramatically decreases the chances of developing ingrown hair.
3. Use a moisturising shaving cream or foam that you can see. Apply a layer of shaving cream or foam so you can see where you have already shaved. Shaving the same spot over and over again can cause irritation.
4. Hone a technique. Shaving from the ankle to the knee is another way to prevent ingrown hairs because it allows you to shave against the hair growth. Using long, even strokes is also a great way to avoid skin irritation and helps prevent pesky ingrowns.
5. Hold the razor from the top of the handle. Holding the razor near the top helps you control the amount of pressure you’re using on your skin. The key to avoiding ingrown hairs is to be gentle.
6. Pat instead of rubbing. When drying your body, avoid rubbing the towel against your skin because the friction can cause irritation. Instead, use a cotton towel and pat your skin in gentle motions.
Ingrown hairs can be difficult to treat so it’s important to learn how to prevent them. Start with your Nana May's Body Scrub to get your skin ready for hair removal. After your shower and shaving you can really get your glow on by applying a spritz of our Body Oil Spray for extra moisture!